OECD Network of Parliamentary Budget Officials and Independent Fiscal Institutions (PBO) (Click)
The PBO is a diverse network of specialised professional staff from:
· Independent fiscal institutions (independent parliamentary budget offices and fiscal councils)
· In-house parliamentary budget research units
· Parliamentary budget or finance committees
Academics and representatives from other international organisations (IMF, WB) also participate in PBO discussions.
The PBO network focuses on improving scrutiny of the budget process and the evolving role of independent fiscal institutions (IFIs).
· Debates substantive budgeting issues.
· Shares practical experiences on working methods.
· Profiles new institutions and significant changes in the mandates of older institutions.
· Identifies good practices and contributes to standard setting (e.g. the OECD Principles for Independent Fiscal Institutions).
In February 2014, the OECD Council approved the Principles for Independent Fiscal Institutions.
Geared towards independent parliamentary budget offices and fiscal councils, the Principles provide guidance on issues to consider when designing an IFI, codifying lessons learned and good practices.
The PBO network meets annually and is typically hosted by a member country parliament.
· 9th meeting - Edinburgh April 2017
· 8th meeting - Paris April 2016
· 7th meeting - Vienna April 2015
· 6th meeting - Jerusalem April 2014
· 5th meeting - Ottawa February 2013
· 4th meeting - Paris February 2012
· 3rd meeting - Stockholm April 2011
· 2nd meeting - Bern February 2010
· 1st meeting - Rome February 2009